What We Do
BackerHack is an online vehicle by which Service Providers use the Site to offer "Gigs" to "Project Creators" for the purpose of promoting a funding project on a "crowdfunding website". Through the Site and it's extensive services, access is granted to the user's collective information, creative material, copyrightable material, and associated trademarks (Hereafter known as "Content"). It may be permissible to all users of the Service to distribute Content from the Site.
Agreement of Terms
You must be at least 18 years old to use this service either as a Creator or a Backer. You represent and warrant that if you are an individual, you are at least 18 years old.
Rules and Conduct
The User shall not allow any third party to use their account in any way. The User accepts complete responsibility for all activity in connection to their account on the Site. The following are prohibited activities on the Site:
You may not infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity, or other right of any other person or entity, or violate any law or contract;
- You may not submit anything you know is false, misleading, or inaccurate;
- You may not impersonate any person or entity, including any employee or representative of the BH.
- You may not submit data that contains software viruses or any other computer codes, files, or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt, damage, limit, or interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment or to damage or obtain unauthorized access to any system, data, password, or other information of the Company or any third party;
- You may not submit anything that constitutes unsolicited or unauthorized advertising or promotional material or any junk mail, spam, or chain letters;
- You may not do anything that is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, obscene, offensive, profane, or invasive of another's privacy;
You shall not directly or indirectly: (i) decipher, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, or otherwise attempt to derive any source code or underlying ideas or algorithms of any part of the Service, except to the extent applicable laws specifically prohibit such restriction; (ii) modify, translate, or otherwise create derivative works of any part of the Service; or (iii) copy, rent, lease, distribute, or otherwise transfer any of the rights that you receive hereunder. You shall abide by all applicable local, state, national, and international laws and regulations.
Registration of User ID and other Names
As a condition of using the Service, you are required to register with the Company and select a screen name ("User ID") and password. You shall not use as a User ID, domain name, or event name any name or term that is offensive, vulgar, or obscene. The Company reserves the right in its sole discretion to refuse registration of or cancel a User ID, domain name, and event name.
Gigs and Services
BackerHack is an online vehicle by which Service Providers use the Site to offer "Gigs" to "Project Creators" for the purpose of promoting a funding project on a "crowdfunding website". By posting a gig on BackerHack, you as the service provider are offering your services to help a crowdfunding project and agree to provide this service within the specified timeframe. Once a BackerHack buyer purchases your gig within the BH site then a contract between Gig Service Provider and Project Creator is formed. BackerHack is not a party to the agreement between the Gig Service Provider and Project Creator. All dealings are solely between these two entities.
Rules of Conduct
If you choose to offer gigs on BH you hereby agree to be bound by this entire Agreement, including the following terms:
- The Gig Delivery Date listed on each gig is bindign and you agree to fulfill the service by that date. Late gigs will be penalized and eventually cancelled.
- BackerHack reserves the right to reject, cancel, interrupt, remove, or suspend a gig at any time and for any reason. BackerHack is not liable for any damages as a result of any of those actions.
BackerHack is not liable for any damages or loss incurred related to rewards or any other use of the Service. BackerHack is under no obligation to become involved in disputes between any Users, or between Users and any third party arising in connection with the use of the Service. This includes, but is not limited to, delivery of goods and services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties, or representations associated with projects on the Site. You release BackerHack, its officers, employees, agents, and successors in rights from claims, damages, and demands of every kind, known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, disclosed or undisclosed, arising out of or in any way related to such disputes and the Service.
Our Fee and Payment Procedures
BackerHack charges a twenty percent commission on all gigs purchased through the BH site. BackerHack agrees to disperse earned funds one time per week at a specified day and time for any service providers who have accumulated $50 or more in their current earnings. If a BH service provider has accumulated less than $50 then these funds will be held until the next dispersement period when the current earnings have exceeded this threshold. A gig provider may request and early disbursement on any given week when the earnings are below this threshold, but an $8 service fee will be applied in such cases.
Gig Provider Access
BackerHack evaluates many applications for service providers to join the community and reserves the right to approve or not approve any potential service provider for any reason they deem fit. Furthermore, BH reserves the right to terminate a service provider's account at any point for any reasons they deem fit.
The Service may permit you to link to other websites or resources on the internet, and other websites or resources may contain links to the Site. The inclusion on another website of any link to the Site does not imply endorsement by or affiliation with the BH. You further acknowledge and agree that BH shall not be liable for any damage related to the use of any content, goods, or services available through any third-party website or resource.
Unless otherwise authorized in writing by BackerHack, Users may not use, copy, reproduce, modify, publicly perform or display, create derivative works of, sell, auction, loan, lease, rent, distribute, transfer or disclose all or any part of the Service (including, without limitation, any screenshots, videos, documentation or manuals relating to the Service) except as provided in this Agreement.
By Submitting User Submissions on the Site or otherwise through the Service, you agree to the following terms:
- The Company will not have any ownership rights over your User Submissions. However, the Company needs the following license to perform and market the Service on your behalf and on behalf of its other Users and itself. You grant to the Company the worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sub-licensable, transferable right to (and to allow others acting on its behalf to) (i) use, edit, modify, prepare derivative works of, reproduce, host, display, stream, transmit, playback, trans-code, copy, feature, market, sell, distribute, and otherwise fully exploit your User Submissions and your trademarks, service marks, slogans, logos, and similar proprietary rights (collectively, the "Trademarks") in connection with (a) the Service, (b) the Company's (and its successors' and assigns') businesses, (c) promoting, marketing, and redistributing part or all of the Site (and derivative works thereof) or the Service in any media formats and through any media channels (including, without limitation, third-party websites); (ii) take whatever other action is required to perform and market the Service; (iii) allow its Users to stream, transmit, playback, download, display, feature, distribute, collect, and otherwise use the User Submissions and Trademarks in connection with the Service; and (iv) use and publish, and permit others to use and publish, the User Submissions, Trademarks, names, likenesses, and personal and biographical materials of you and the members of your group, in connection with the provision or marketing of the Service. The foregoing license grant to the Company does not affect your other ownership or license rights in your User Submissions, including the right to grant additional licenses to your User Submissions.
- You are publishing your User Submission, and you may be identified publicly by your name or User ID in association with your User Submission.
- You grant to each User a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Service, and to use, edit, modify, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such User Submissions solely for personal, non-commercial use.
- You further agree that your User Submissions will not contain third-party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third-party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material or you are otherwise legally entitled to post the material and to grant BackerHack all of the license rights granted herein.
- The use or other exploitation of User Submissions by the Company and Users as contemplated by this Agreement will not infringe or violate the rights of any third party, including without limitation any privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights, or any other intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- The Company shall have the right to delete, edit, modify, reformat, excerpt, or translate any of your User Submissions.
- All information publicly posted or privately transmitted through the Site is the sole responsibility of the person from which that content originated.
- The Company will not be liable for any errors or omissions in any Content.
- The Company cannot guarantee the identity of any other Users with whom you may interact while using the Service.
- All Content you access through the Service is at your own risk and you will be solely responsible for any resulting damage or loss to any party.
In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, BackerHack has adopted a policy of, in appropriate circumstances, terminating User accounts that are repeat infringers of the intellectual property rights of others. BackerHack also may terminate User accounts even based on a single infringement.
BackerHack will remove infringing materials in accordance with the DMCA if properly notified that Content infringes copyright. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please notify BackerHack in writing. Your notice must contain the following information (please confirm these requirements with your legal counsel, or see the U.S. Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. 512(c)(3), for more information):
- an electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest;
- a description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed;
- a description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the Site, sufficient for BackerHack to locate the material;
- your address, telephone number, and email address;
- a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- a statement by you that the information in your notice is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf.
If you believe that your work has been removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification, please notify BackerHack in writing. Your counter-notice must contain the following information (please confirm these requirements with your legal counsel or see the U.S. Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. 512(g)(3), for more information):
- a physical or electronic signature of the user of the Services;
- identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled;
- a statement made under penalty of perjury that the subscriber has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material; and
- the subscriber's name, address, telephone number, and a statement that the subscriber consents to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located, or if the subscriber's address is outside of the United States, for any judicial district in which the service provider may be found, and that the user will accept service of process from the person who provided notification under subscriber (c)(1)(C) or an agent of such person.
Under the Copyright Act, any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material is infringing or was removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification may be subject to liability.
If you fail to comply with these notice requirements, your notification or counter-notification may not be valid.
Our designated copyright agent for notice of alleged copyright infringement is:
PO Box 4482
Asheboro, NC 27205
The Company has no special relationship with or fiduciary duty to you. You acknowledge that the Company has no duty to take any action regarding any of the following: which Users gain access to the Site; what Content Users access through the Site; what effects the Content may have on Users; how Users may interpret or use the Content; or what actions Users may take as a result of having been exposed to the Content. The Company cannot guarantee the authenticity of any data or information that Users provide about themselves or their campaigns and projects. You release the Company from all liability for your having acquired or not acquired Content through the Site. The Site may contain, or direct you to websites containing, information that some people may find offensive or inappropriate. The Company makes no representations concerning any Content on the Site, and the Company is not liable for the accuracy, copyright compliance, legality, or decency of material contained on the Service.
The Company does not guarantee that any Content will be made available through the Service. The Company has no obligation to monitor the Service or Content. The Company reserves the right to, at any time, for any reason, and without notice: (i) cancel, reject, interrupt, remove, or suspend a campaign or project; (ii) remove, edit, or modify any Content, including, but not limited to, any User Submission; and (iii) remove or block any User or User Submission. BackerHack reserves the right not to comment on the reasons for any of these actions.
The Service is provided "as is" and "as available" and is without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of title, non-infringement, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose, and any warranties implied by any course of performance or usage of trade, all of which are expressly disclaimed. The Company, and its directors, employees, agents, suppliers, partners, and content providers do not warrant that: (a) the Service will be secure or available at any particular time or location; (b) any defects or errors will be corrected; (c) any content or software available at or through the Service is free of viruses or other harmful components; or (d) the results of using the Service will meet your requirements. Your use of the Service is solely at your own risk. Some states or countries do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to you.
The Company makes no guaranty of confidentiality or privacy of any communication or information transmitted on the Site or any website linked to the Site. The Company will not be liable for the privacy of email addresses, registration and identification information, disk space, communications, confidential or trade-secret information, or any other Content stored on the Company's equipment, transmitted over networks accessed by the Site, or otherwise connected with your use of the Service.
Electronic Communications Privacy Act Notice (18 USC 2701-2711): THE COMPANY MAKES NO GUARANTY OF CONFIDENTIALITY OR PRIVACY OF ANY COMMUNICATION OR INFORMATION TRANSMITTED ON THE SITE OR ANY WEBSITE LINKED TO THE SITE. The Company will not be liable for the privacy of email addresses, registration and identification information, disk space, communications, confidential or trade-secret information, or any other Content stored on the Company's equipment, transmitted over networks accessed by the Site, or otherwise connected with your use of the Service.
Limitation of Liability
In no event shall the Company, nor its directors, employees, agents, partners, suppliers, or content providers, be liable under contract, tort, strict liability, negligence, or any other legal or equitable theory with respect to the service (i) for any lost profits, data loss, cost of procurement of substitute goods or services, or special, indirect, incidental, punitive, or consequential damages of any kind whatsoever, substitute goods or services (however arising), (ii) for any bugs, viruses, trojan horses, or the like (regardless of the source of origination), or (iii) for any direct damages in excess of (in the aggregate) one hundred U.S. dollars ($100.00). some states or countries do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations and exclusions may not apply to you.
Accessing the Service is prohibited from territories where the Content is illegal. If you access the Service from other locations, you do so at your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws.
Electronic Delivery, Notice Policy, and Your Consent
By using the Services, you consent to receive from BackerHack all communications including notices, agreements, legally required disclosures, or other information in connection with the Services (collectively, "Contract Notices") electronically. BackerHack may provide the electronic Contract Notices by posting them on the Site. If you desire to withdraw your consent to receive Contract Notices electronically, you must discontinue your use of the Services.
These Terms of Service (and any further rules, policies, or guidelines incorporated by reference) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York and the United States, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law, and without application of the Uniform Computer Information Transaction Act or the United Nations Convention of Controls for International Sale of Goods. You agree that the Company and its Services are deemed a passive website that does not give rise to personal jurisdiction over BackerHack or its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, successors, assigns, employees, agents, directors, officers or shareholders, either specific or general, in any jurisdiction other than the State of New York. You agree that any action at law or in equity arising out of or relating to these terms, or your use or non-use of the Services, shall be filed only in the state or federal courts located in New York County in the State of New York and you hereby consent and submit to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for the purposes of litigating any such action. You hereby irrevocably waive any right you may have to trial by jury in any dispute, action, or proceeding.
Integration and Severability
Updated: January 2016